See what experts say about our magnesium deficiency situation including how 1 magnesium infusion can benefit you for 5 years.
Learn the four facts we all need to know about magnesium – including why our body malfunctions without it, and why unresolved deficiency can lead to debilitating disease.
1. Your life depends on magnesium:
Magnesium is a natural element of the earth and without it, human life is not possible. While previous findings have shown that magnesium is involved in 300+, and later 700+ different biological processes in the human body, the most recent findings suggest magnesium is involved in over 3700 different bodily processes, including our most vital functions:
- Energy & fat loss
- Heart health & function
- Mental health and function
- Sleep and digestion
- Muscle and bone health
- Healthy skin and immunity
- DNA health and cancer prevention
What are your chances of being deficient in magnesium?
2. How do I know I’m deficient? (Deficiency is epidemic)
Magnesium deficiency is now epidemic, affecting the vast majority of people who do not supplement, to some degree. Figure 1 is a general representation of the three primary factors that affect our body’s magnesium levels. The fourth line represents our ability to make our own magnesium, which (according to our current understanding of physics) will always stay at zero.
- Stress that drains our magnesium (increasing)
- Magnesium in our modern food (decreasing)
- Our intestine’s ability to absorb magnesium from food (decreasing)
1. Stress: Stress includes exercise, poor diet, WIFI & blue light from technology, airborne/household chemical pollution, emotional stress & more. All stress depletes magnesium because our adrenal glands (stress-response organs) use magnesium.
2. Food: Modern farming practices have depleted magnesium in our food, and fortified the food supply with excess iron and calcium which further deplete our body’s magnesium. Learn more here.
3. Absorption: Stress also damages and inflames our intestine, which can hinder its ability to absorb magnesium into our blood stream. (Even a healthy gut only absorbs 30-40% of a food’s magnesium.)
We are essentially getting less magnesium while losing more daily. This is why experts now agree it is very difficult to maintain healthy magnesium levels without supplementation.
While not mandatory, testing nutrient levels such as magnesium can show us exactly how deficient we are. However standard magnesium blood tests cannot spot magnesium deficiency accurately. Learn about the most accurate tests here.
3. What happens if I stay deficient? (symptoms)
Because our body needs magnesium for its daily regeneration, and the proper function of every nerve, muscle, organ and gene, symptoms of magnesium deficency have two critical factors:
- They can show up in any part of our body.
- The longer we stay deficient, the more severe symptoms may become, gradually (and often deceptively) growing from mild discomforts to life-changing, debilitating diseases. This is because our body parts continue to function without enough magnesium, resulting in inadequate physical maintenance, energy, and protection from physical damage such as inflammation and oxidative stress.
4. How do I restore my magnesium?
A multi-dimensional approach to restoring and maintaining healthy magnesium levels may include:
- Limit all forms of stress that have no health benefits. See all the prescription drugs that drain magnesium here. See all forms of stress that drain magnesium here.
- Eat a magnesium-rich diet. Learn which tricky magnesium rich foods to avoid, and which foods to indulge in.
- Use a high quality magnesium supplement daily. See the different forms of magnesium, and learn why transdermal magnesium chloride is a good tool for magnesium restoration.
For active people: Please understand that all movement and thus exercise directly depletes your body’s magnesium, and that frequent intense exercise without magnesium supplementation can actually worsen your health and increase risk of disease under certain circumstances.